I just realized I never posted this -- I meant to have a whole week back in early February, not unlike last year, in which I did my top films, albums, blogs, etc., for the year -- but the trip to Austin and the mid-point of the semester left me swamped. Better late than never, but as I am on my spring break, sleeping in and reading theology for leisure, you get three superfluously unhelpful words per album rather than any actual substantive comment. (Although you do also get the graphic to the right that Patrick made for our year-end posts on 80 Minutes For Life.) Enjoy!
- - - - - - -
Honorable mention: Iron & Wine -- Around the Well; The Decemberists -- The Hazards of Love; Various Artists -- Dark Was the Night; David Bazan -- Curse Your Branches; Wilco -- (The Album)
- - - - - - -
10. Monsters of Folk -- Monsters of Folk
Fun, scattered, rich.
9. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros -- Up From Below
Danceable, surprising, eclectic.
8. Elvis Perkins -- Elvis Perkins in Dearland
Playful, apocalyptic, personal.
7. The Mountain Goats -- The Life of the World to Come
Singular, jarring, biblical.
6. Neko Case -- Middle Cyclone
Funny, invigorating, man-stomping.
5. JJ -- JJº2
Smooth, harmonious, lyrical.
4. Grizzly Bear -- Veckatimest
Thick, discordant, sweeping.
3. Phoenix -- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Light, straightforward, entertaining.
2. Andrew Bird -- Noble Beast
Gorgeous, complex, undervalued.
1. Animal Collective -- Meriweather Post Pavillion
Seamless, pertinent, sublime.