Monday, June 4, 2012

The Christian Scholars' Conference

Later this week I'll be heading to Nashville for the Thomas H. Olbricht Christian Scholars' Conference at Lipscomb University. The theme this year is "Reconciliation," and the plenary speakers include Fred D. Gray, Abraham Verghese, Immaculée Ilibagiza, and (Yale's own) Miroslav Volf. As well, the Church of Christ Theology Students group -- already a wonderful annual tradition (past speakers include David Bentley Hart and Gregory Sterling) -- will be addressed by SMU theologian Bruce Marshall.

I was able to attend the CSC in 2009 and 2010 -- I wrote about the latter here -- though with the move to New Haven I wasn't able to make it to Malibu last year. I'll be there this week, though -- at the conference, not Malibu -- and this time I'll be presenting. My paper is titled "Hooking In, Sitting Loose: A Call for Theology in the Churches of Christ," as part of the "Church of Christ Graduate Students in Theology, Session 1: 'Theological Inquiry & Discourse among Churches of Christ,' " which will be at 9:00 am on Thursday morning.

Other friends, acquaintances, and worth-hearing presenters include (in no particular order) Richard Hughes, Kelly Johnson, Ron Clark, Mark Lackowski, Douglas Foster, my man Jimmy McCarty, Ted Smith, Glenn Pemberton, David Mahfood, Darryl Tippens, Gregory Sterling, John Mark Hicks, James Gorman, Heather Gorman, Matthew Vaughan, all around super-missionary theologian Spencer Bogle, Major Boglin, Wendell Willis, Matt Tapie, John Barton, Mark Kinzer, Richard Goode, Bill Carroll, Lauren Smelser White, Jennifer Thweatt-Bates, C. Leonard Allen, William Abraham, C. Melissa Snarr, Frederick Aquino -- and many, many others. Not to mention the whole conference being organized and run and led under the assiduous auspices of the one and only David Fleer.

And did I mention Lee Camp's TOKENS is performing Thursday night?

I might as well be the unofficial spokesman for the conference. I'm wholeheartedly evangelistic: it is by far the most edifying, constructive, interdisciplinary, substantive, downright interesting academic gathering of which I am aware. If you can, go; if not, see you next year.

1 comment:

  1. As you probably gathered, I wasn't able to make it. Sad news.

    I hope that the conference was a epic as you foresaw and your presentation went well. I can't imagine otherwise.

    ReplyDelete