Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Sabbath Poetry: Mary Oliver

I don't think I have ever shared a poem from Mary Oliver, whose work I have skimmed and stumbled across here and there, but never spent much time with. Happily, though, a family member gave us her latest collection of poems for Christmas, so I am making my way through it now. The poem below is, I think, a gentle and wry reminder for those of us who inhabit the social spheres of academy and church, each prone in its own way to an outstripping of its proper knowledges and of the mysteries which close them in. Enjoy.

- - - - - - -

The Man Who Has Many Answers

By Mary Oliver

The man who has many answers
is often found
in the theaters of information
where he offers, graciously,
his deep findings.

While the man who has only questions,
to comfort himself, makes music.

No comments:

Post a Comment